Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inception

Have you ever been at the movies and as the final credits start rolling, there's a collective noise the moviegoers make, like "Wooooah"? Movies that have done this to me include The Matrix, Usual Suspects, Memento, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and now...Inception.  Let's forget about whether it's good or bad (I mean, concensus is it's good; Rotten Tomatoes gave it 87%), but without any spoilers, here are 3 things you might like to know before seeing it.

1. When it's NOT a good time to see this movie
This film is no dawdle, certainly not a "let it wash over you" type experience. If you are tired or worn out, I would say go see something like Toy Story 3 and not Inception. But when you're ready to stimulate your brain, then consider this film. This isn't a time traveling movie, yet it creates discussion afterward like most complicated films, so I recommend being alert and having consumed a cold Red Bull beforehand. Another suggestion is it's a good movie for a first date (first movie, then dinner) because you'll have things to talk about over dinner. Having said that, it will inevitably lead to discussions of each others' dreams and let's face it, when is hearing about others' dreams NOT boring? So maybe scrap that idea.

2. Are the special FX really that special?
Have you seen the trailers for Inception? The world gets folded in half for goodness sakes! So I was expecting a huge extravaganza of special effects, like Minority Report meets Avatar! If you go into the film with the same expectations as me, you may find yourself slightly disappointed (note: the fight scene in hotel corridor did blow my mind). So my advice is to expect a well made movie with some cool effects but not to the level the preview suggests. Just sayin'.

3. How important is closure to you?
If you're the kind of person who likes story-lines wrapped up complete with a ribbon at the end of a movie, prepare yourself. Having invested 2 hours, 28 minutes of yourself into this film, you may be itching for answers to all of your questions. If this is the case, you may be let down. The collective "woah" heard at the end of the movie was followed by some with, "Wait, what? Huh?" and in fact, I was glad to have a debrief session (over Mexican food, nom nom) where I could go over my outstanding questions with them. And even having done that, there were a couple things I still wasn't sure about, because we weren't able to reach a consensus! 


Watch the trailer HERE.

I think...Inception is such an intriguing concept and the film was very well made. It hasn't stayed with me the way some movies have, but it was still well worth watching. And by the way, still deciding on what my token should be. :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice roundup! I went with a couple of friends to the cinema to view Inception and one of them had the same response you had about the special effects (that disappointed him in the movie after having seen the trailer). For me it Does stay with me more than most movies and it's my favorite one of the year :) You had a link to the trailer .. here even more about the Inception trailer: http://www.inception-trailer.com

    ReplyDelete