Sunday, June 12, 2011

Wallander

Perusing the recorded TV programs on my DVR says a lot about my interests and some might say my mental health. But I make no apologies! I like what I like and that's that. However, there are a few things you might glean from seeing what I record on a week to week basis:   First of all, I will never apologize for my love of Charmed and my desire to watch reruns (traditionally after work with a cup of tea). Secondly, I do have a morbid curiosity for the macabre (is that a redundant statement?) as evidenced by Criminal Minds, Silent Witness and Forensic Files. Thirdly, I love crime-dramas. When I find a tense and unpredictable crime-drama that pulls me in (like The Killing earlier this year I was absolutely crazy about or my current enjoyment of The Shadow Line), I am so excited! And right up there on my list of, "Oh goody, I can't wait to watch this week's episode" shows is the Swedish detective series Wallander.

Wallander, based on novels written by Henning Mankell, which have been going strong for twenty years, follows Detective Kurt Wallander, who while a brilliant detective, is not exactly a happy camper. Prone to anger, depression and ill-health, he is an unlikely protagonist as he and the police department tackle all manner of serious crimes in Malmo, a seaside Swedish city in the southern province of Skåne. More details about the history of him and the show can be found online but here are 3 of the numerous reasons why I love Wallander and always look forward to it!

1. Moody Tension
I love the atmosphere the producers create week in and week out. The music, lighting and pace all add to a kind of sad but not hopeless mood. Each story unfolds as the tension builds like a slow but steady spring. Kurt and his team, including the lead prosecutor (who happens to be a strong and sexy woman who is in fact his superior which adds to the tension) do what seems like "real" policework. It's not all flash and technology but a lot of the mundane, looking for a crack in the case (which always comes). Wallander is a tortured soul and actor Krister Henriksson is absolutely brilliant walking the fine line showing his obvious faults but leaving us in no doubt he's our hero.

2. Juissi
Wallander loves his dog, Juissi. Juissi, a chocolate lab, often accompanies Kurt to work and Kurt is his "softest" when talking to Juissi, walking him or referring to him (could be true for all of us). It may not sound like a big deal but for a lonely workaholic like Kurt Wallander, his dutiful companion Juissi is actually key in forming the character which we come to love. Note: the Kenneth Brannagh version does not have a dog and that is unfortunate!



3. Subtitles
They don't scare me! Swedish is a fascinating-sounding language (a lot more depth than the Swedish chef from the Muppet Show would make you believe). I am utterly intrigued by the sounds of their language, of the words that are the same or similar in English and matching up words to the subtitles. When characters are having a heated argument, I swear to you, it's even MORE interesting that it's in Swedish!

If you're only able to watch the BBC version (produced by and starring Kenneth Brannagh), then it's a very worthy attempt and you probably won't be disappointed. I've seen a few episodes and it manages to achieve the melancholy atmosphere. The plot lines succeed as they're tried and tested in the books and Swedish TV show. But for my money, the original is much better. I haven't nearly seen them all and hope BBC continues to air the show, repeats and all. And if they do, Wallander will always be found in my DVR list!

1 comment:

  1. The location Wallander patrols is actually the small town of Ystad on Sweden's south coast, Malmo being a largish metropolitan area some 45 minutes to the north-west. Other than that I agree with everything you've written.

    Somewhat confused by the monumentally high body county in this small town, I took it upon myself to visit earlier this year but didn't come across a single murder in my three hours there. Bitterly disappointing.

    I look forward to reading your review of The Shadow Line and wonder what you'd make of a WWE SmackDown-style event between Kurt and Gatehouse?

    ReplyDelete