Saturday, January 29, 2011

The King's Speech

Perhaps I have no business reviewing movies. How can I get it so wrong? When everyone and their dogs say a movie is amaze-balls and I don't, I have to wonder what I missed. The King's Speech is an example of that.

I hadn't even heard of this movie until the day before I saw it, so no build up, no expectations and those are usually the best circumstances to see a movie. I went, watched and enjoyed. And then it's like the media exploded in raves and enthusiasm for it. Twitter was alive with "best movie I've ever seen" proclamations (from celebrities and 'normies' alike!) Then came the Golden Globes, Academy Award nominations and I was a wee bit perplexed by the hype.

In case you have been in a deserted island and don't have a clue what this movie is about. It's the true story of how King George VI (that's Queen Elizabeth's Dad for those of you out there who aren't monarchy experts) overcame his stutter with the help of an unconventional speech therapist.  And that's pretty much the story. Period. Full stop. That's pretty much all. Trailer can be seen HERE.

This is not a movie of high drama or high action. It keeps your interest but without any huge story arc, it felt a bit linear to me. The actors - Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush - do a fantastic job. Well done, well made, all in all a good movie. But the "best movie of the year"?? Really? Maybe people just get on the bandwagon (can you say "mob rule") about it? Or perhaps I am just hard-hearted and uncivilized and can't see the magnificence?

Having said all of that, there are a couple things I particularly enjoyed:
  • FINALLY! I couldn't ever understand how there was a Prince Albert in the 20th century but no King Albert. Turns out Prince Albert changed his name to King George as it seemed less German which was important at the time of his coronation (pre WWII).
  • King Edward and Wallis Simpson were not portrayed in any kind of positive way in this film. So while they weren't the villains of the story, at least you had someone to root against (even though you know what happens).
  • Being a royal really is stuffy! Despite the grandeur of the palaces and castles, you could really tell how stale, conservative and stifling living as a royal could be!
I think...yeah it's a good film. It'll keep you interested, you'll really feel for Prince Albert and love Lionel Logue (played by Geoffrey Rush) . But feel free to wait for it on DVD because to be honest, as enjoyable as it is, not a whole lot happens! 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. I don't go to the movies often and ususally pick the blockbuster type movies to see in the theater(You know..LOTR etc etc). I like to see those kinds of movies on the big screen. I'm not sure I would have seen this one except you were here and we wanted to go to a movie. I was very surprised about how much I enjoyed the quiet drama of a person's struggle to overcome. People facinate me. I loved watching the all the character's emotions just under the surface, held tightly in check. I haven't seen many movies this year, so to say this one is my favorite isn't saying much I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very confused about how to post a comment here and identify myself!! tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the film. I loved the historical content. King George VI's war speeches, with the silences, careful execution and deliberance were and are a great and unique part of British history. His speeches were solemn and befitting of the news he had to impart and I, for one, was incredibly heartened to be told a story of the man behind those speeches. Any Brit will recognise his radio-transmitted speeches due to their style. I found the film informative and very endearing ..to discover a little of the man's childhood experiences, which saddened me. All round I think the 3 main characters did the story justice, Colin Firth in particular for his mastery of the stammer and lisp..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, Valerie. I have heard some people say they thought the movie was boring so you're not the only one who didn't care for it.

    However, I loved everything about the movie! My husband made a comment after we saw it about how it could have been a very boring movie but surprisingly it wasn't. He was enthralled by it (as I was) and we both liked the way it had so much humour which we didn't expect.

    It's also interesting to learn that the screenwriter, David Seidler, suffered from a stammer too(as a child during World War II) and was inspired to overcome his stammer after listening to King George VI on the radio. I'm sure his personal experience is what helped make the script as powerful as it is.

    I think the (mostly) positive reaction to the movie is due to the uplifting (true) story and the fabulous acting talent of the whole cast particularly the two leads, Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.

    ReplyDelete