Wednesday, October 6, 2010

10 movies I will always stop and watch...

I recently realized that there are certain movies than when I come across them on TV, I will stop and watch. Why is that? Are they movies that are my all-time favorites? No, not necessarily, but there's something about the following films that pull me in, no matter what I'm doing or how many times I've seen them before:

1. No Way Out - If you can overlook the ridiculously short shorts Kevin Coster wears at one point (it was made in the 80's after all), this film combines tension, drama and plot twists (and most of it within the confines of the drab walls of the Pentagon) with great success.
2. Charlie's Angels - I think this film is a riot! I can just about tolerate the "Hi Charlie!" the angels say in unison because of the soundtrack, fun action scenes and hilarity in the form of Bill Murray. Plus it doesn't matter what point in the movie you tune in, you can still be entertained. 
3. Hunt for Red October - This is the film that inspired this list, actually, because I found it interesting that this suspense film set in a Russian nuclear submarine so engaging even after all the times I've seen it. It's all about the cast: Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Scott Glenn and Sam Neill! 
 4. The Fugitive - Perhaps it's you can imagine the anguish Harrison Ford's character is going through; trying to process the grief of his wife's murder but also having to elude Tommy Lee Jones all while trying to find the real murderer. The pace and twists of this film still keep me interested.
5. Independence Day - Come on now, what's not to love?! Aliens take over the planet, America comes to the rescue with spectacular special effects. And who other than Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman could pull off some of the ridiculous dialogue in this epic action film? It's funny, sometimes when it's meant to be sometimes when it's not. But it delivers. And Bill Pullman's speech is especially bad (in an entertaining way) and one I tried to emulate on July 4th a few years ago. To see that debacle, click HERE
 6. The Mummy - This goes down in my top 10 favorite films of all time. Love it! Love Evy, Rick and Jonathon on their adventure, their dialogue is really funny. What's more, the special effects still (so far) stand the test of time. Lots of different locations, adventures and a even hot mummy (once he's reconstituted anyway) make this a must watch any time I can! 

7. Zoolander - It's not easy being really, really, ridiculously good-looking and Ben Stiller's Derek Zoolander shows us how to handle it. Kudos to Owen Wilson who does a hilarious job as rival turned partner-in-crime model Hansel and Will Ferrel for making his character really stand out. Only part I don't like is Christine Taylor as Matilda. But like I said with Charlie's Angels, it doesn't really matter where in the movie you tune in, it's still great fun.
 8. Miss Congeniality - Sandra Bullock, Michael Caine, William Shater. 'Nuff said.
 9. Back to the Future - Maybe this one is generational thing? I find it so familiar (stone-washed jeans, yeah baby!) and comforting. Plus I always enjoy Marty McFly and his trip back in time and need to get back to the future. My favorite lines include (while knuckling someone's head), "McFlyyyyyy...you're so gullible McFly!" and when George McFly wants to ask Lorraine out in the soda shop "You're...my...density..."
 10, Romancing the Stone - I came across this one just the other night and really enjoyed it. Things that struck me as I watched it was 1) how hilarious the soundtrack is, with the 80's synthesizer 2) how beautiful Katherine Turner once was and 3) what an interesting and unusual storyline it actually is.

Honorable mentions:
Clear and Present Danger - only if you start watching before the SUV caravan ambush in Colombia, that is amazing.
Shaun of the Dead - especially once they're already holed up in the Winchester (cue Queen!)
Terminator - late at night, this film is still very disturbing and scary.
My Best Friend's Wedding - especially if you tune in before the Dionne Warwick sing-song at the Mexican restaurant. If you've never seen it, watch it on You Tube HERE.
Mission Impossible - putting aside my opinion of Tom Cruise, the break-in to CIA headquarters scene towards the end is something I can watch again and again.
Valley Girl - one of the first films I loved as a 'tween, back in the day when Nicholas Cage had really crooked teeth, white kids danced like white kids and mall crawls were the thing to do. And even now, Modern English's anthem "I Melt with You" resonates in my bones.

What about you? Are there any films that come to mind that you stop and watch?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with most of your list with both "Romancing the Stone" and "Independence Day" as stand outs. I saw "No Way Out" quite awhile ago and I remeber liking it okay but not being that memorable. I would add "Snatch" which I really love (and a very British movie to boot) and "Young Frankenstein."

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree with miss congeniality and definitely independence day - actually any will smith movie i fell into watching hitch the other day and had forgotten how it really does make me PMSL and proper LOL... :) great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Think I agree with Mummy and Independence Day. The others are good movies but not ones I would stop and watch any time they are on. For me it is:
    The Fifth Element
    LA story
    Lake Placid
    Serinity
    Mystery Men
    Any Indiana Jones
    The Frighteners
    UHF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any Ocean's Movie, Mystery Men...and Batman (Nicholson/Keaton)

    ReplyDelete