Wednesday, April 7, 2010

When I grow up I want to be Dalton Ross

When I grow up I want to be Dalton Ross. I know you're scratching your head in confusion firstly because you're wondering if I'm actually a very mature looking 17 year old with my whole life ahead of me. Answer: no, I am still late 30's with only half my life ahead of me.  Or maybe you've quickly tried to Google "Dalton Ross" or even checked Wikipedia (he doesn't have his own entry, sacrilege)!

Let me clarify my statement by saying I don't want to be him, I just want to be in his job. I want to do what he does.

At a company I worked at several years ago, I found a few others who had a passion for Survivor. Then I found a few more who liked a good wager. And voila, we had our own Pictage Survivor Pool! It was dead easy, 18 survivors, 18 employees paying in $5, one winner takes all. Incidentally, this spawned an Amazing Race Pool which was much more detailed with employees choosing 3 teams and an accruing point system to win the whole lot. Who says I can't crunch numbers?

Anyway, my favorite part of the Survivor Pool was writing my own recaps of the previous night's Survivor episodes. I included what happened, my take on what happened and evidently they were quite entertaining (some folks asked to be on my weekly recap email distribution list, even though they didn't even watch the show) and that is exactly what Dalton Ross does. Plus the dude is funny. Oh and when I say that is "exactly" what Dalton Ross does, I should clarify. Dalton gets paid, certainly has Jeff Probt's cell number, gets to interview the voted out Survivors oh and he ALSO gets sent (and paid, did I mention PAID) to visit the Survivor camps before filming starts to meet the survivors. His videos and commentary are all on the Entertainment Weekly site. However, to be fair (to me) what he doesn't do that I did is take still shots from the show and add funny captions. Nope, that was alllll me. Ideally, I'd maybe even hang out with him at the office most mornings where we could dissect the latest reality TV carnage from the night before. And since there's only one Dalton Ross job, we would each go to a parallel universe to write his recaps
(Season finales would often find little Survivor gifts on the pool participants' desks the next morning. Here's one of the favs which we all got the season of Men vs Women from the Survivor Elf)

Dalton's recaps of Survivor make me laugh out loud, he notices the little things I notice, loves the game and loves to dissect it, all while making me smile with his self-deprecating humor.  I don't want to paint Dalton as a one note-guy because oh no, that's not all he writes about. He writes about anything I might also write about including movies and TV (reality TV seems to be his preference and again, I'm thinking "ME TOO"!) Further, he has recently been on some of the morning shows (CBS This Morning etc) and I now follow him on Twitter, you can too by clicking here.

 
Not only is he funny in writing, he's funny in video. During several seasons of Survivor he did Survivor Talk, the day after someone was voted off which could be watched on the Entertainment Weekly website. From the videos, it looks like he has an actual office (in NYC I think), which tells me he works for an actual company and gets paid and actual check. 

By the way, Jeff Probst also writes a funny and insightful blog every week after Survivor airs, but let's be clear, I don't want his job, I want Dalton's! Oh and I follow Jeff on Twitter too. Come to think of it, Survivor is a major theme re: who I follow on Twitter...Ethan Zohn, Jenna Morasca...yes, indeed, there is a pattern.

To recap (haha, thank you, I'll be here all night), I have found what I'm meant to be doing: watching TV and getting paid to write about it. Where can I get that gig?

See you on Twitter! @whatvalthinks.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment