Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Justified

Damn you Expectation! You've done it to me again; you've gotten me all excited about something which in the end didn't quite live up to you. I finally sat down last night to watch the first few episodes of FX's new show Justified starring Timothy Olyphant. A couple friends have recently said they enjoyed it and I was ready for something really kick-ass! "Kick-ass" is in not how I'd describe it. Let's take a closer look:

Deja vu: Justified is a cross between two of my favorite shows: Deadwood and Saving Grace.The first similarity is a no-brainer for any of you who watched HBO's Deadwood. Timothy Olyphant played the sheriff in that gritty, graphic and fascinating show (in a town called Deadwood, South Dakota during the time of Buffalo Bill and Calamity Jane). In Justified, Olyphant is a present day US Marshall. His steely nerve and seeming fearless determination which made him a protagonist in Deadwood holds true in Justified too. He plays US Marshall Raylan Givens, who is transferred back to Kentucky (where he grew up and escaped from at the earliest opportunity) because of flack over a case in Miami where he gunned down a bad guy. Because the bad guy drew his gun first, US Marshall Givens simply says the shooting was, "justified". See the connection there? Indeed!

Give Kentucky some credit: Just like Oklahoma in Saving Grace, Kentucky plays a central role in the show. Its small towns, larger cities, backwater counties create an almost living and breathing character in and of itself. And it's really not one-note either, you get a feeling for the good ol' boys in both positive and negative connotations. I felt gently charmed by Kentucky and its varying layers and it's an aspect of the show that intrigues me though for how long I'm not sure.

Olyphantitis: I'm not gonna lie. It's Timothy Olyphant which makes this work for me. I liked him in Deadwood, enjoyed him in Catch and Release (though hated his hair in that) and didn't even mind him in Hitman (shaved head was believable). In Justified, he's got to make this stoic character also human and balanced, which he does. His character is not a rogue, he works well with the team of other marshalls. He's not a hothead; in fact he's very cool, especially in the face of adversary. Marshall Givens is from this exact part of the world and because he understands how the locals think and act, he is therefore very effective in enforcing the law. He is rather droll and self-effacing which I think is a nice aspect of the character. Plus, he...is...hot. I don't like cowboys and do not find cowboy hats attractive (took me weeks to cheer on the Cowboys on The Amazing Race, I was so put off by their ridiculous hats, but I've since come around). But yet I'm sold on Timothy Olyphant in this and it's hard to imagine anyone else playing this role so effectively.

What makes a good story? The storylines on this show are pretty run of the mill and not even close to as interesting as other crime shows on TV at the moment (i.e. Saving Grace, The Closer),  Therefore the strength in the show is in Marshall Givens and his character's storyline. Coming back to the town he grew up in, there are complex relationships to address: with his ex wife, with his father who is a lifetime criminal, former school mates and tricky love interests. There's potential here. Actually more than that, it has some strengths but I will be pleased if the writers can create more engrossing stories.

I think...it would make a formulaic but decent motion picture. As a series, however,  it doesn't excite or thrill but it's more of a slow burn.

What do you think? Does it live up to the hype?

Images courtesy of:
http://pics.livejournal.com
http://www.tvverdict.com
http://blog.zap2it.com/

See you on Twitter! @whatvalthinks.  
.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I watch it because of Timothy - not sure why guys think it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very well written review. I agree with you that the reason this series works is Olyphant and the way his character is portrayed. HIs character is "human and balanced" which makes him interesting. I like the fact that while his chacter doesn't shy away from violence (which he is very good at) he often tries to come up with a non-violent solution. I like his straight forward no-nonsense approach, often tinged with a bit of humor, to trying to talk somebody out of doing something violent. I must say that his boss and the other Marshalls that he works with are also interesting characters although they haven't gotten much screen time yet. They, like him are quietly uber-competant and yet also very human. I like this series quite a lot so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Blue! You did a great job describing Harlan Givens and Timothy Olyphant's careful and studied portrayal.

    I think the episode when he and his father meet again is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take back part of my earlier comment! After watching a few more episodes, I'm hooked and not just because of Timothy (man, just the way he stands is hot).

    ReplyDelete