Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How to Train Your Dragon

Before I tell you what I think about the movie, can I just say the 3D thing seems to have gone way over the top? In the previews before How to Train Your Dragon, a dance movie was being advertised, you know the type, street dancers and snobby ballet dancers combine to win a dance competition thing. I could NOT believe it when the title came up, "StreetDance 3D"...for real? Are they going to remake Flashdance in 3D next (though Manhunt would be extra cool if they did)? Of course, I'm sitting on my high horse never having actually watched a film in 3D (at least not as a grown up for goodness sakes). I keep meaning to try Avatar but I'm afraid I'll puke. But then again, I thought the Twitter thing was way over the top and today I follow at least 60 of Hollywood's elite..or at least celebrities who tweet, it's like they're talking to me...anyway, I'm sure all of my protestations will fall silent once I actually experience a 3D film without getting motion sick. And then I'll be its biggest fan I'm sure.

Okay, so, why did I even go and see this PG (not even PG-13, just PG) film this past Easter weekend? Did I know it was animated? No, not really. Did I think Nicholas Cage was in it? Yes, sadly I had it confused with Kick Ass which I had also been considering seeing. I wasn't disappointed Nick wasn't in this, but I kept expecting his voice to come in. Did I rely on Rotten Tomatoes for a review before going? Yes, that site is a must-have for movie lovers.  I considered seeing The Blind Side (it's only just out over here in the UK) but decided it would be absolutely fine to wait until it was on DVD. My TV is tiny so watching any kind of action films is a real disappointment at home. So I can save the drama and romantic comedies for DVD and see action/fantasy/thrillers on the big screen. Also, a few days before we went, I gave my friend my 3 choices of films to see (the other two were Kick Ass and Shutter Island) and she chose this one. So that's how I ended up seeing an animated, PG film on Easter Monday called How to Train Your Dragon. 

It's set in a land where the Vikings have lived for 7 generations. It's also a land where all the grown ups have thick Scottish accents and all the children sound like they're hanging out at the local skater park in Van Nuys, California. Seeing as I'm a fan of the Scottish accent, I was in heaven as Gerard Butler is the voice of Stoick the Vast, who is the fiery, red-headed clan leader and father of the main character, whose name is Hiccup. Hiccup is an outsider, small and wimpy, he feels under the considerable shadow of his father and his fathers' fathers and a clan character of mighty warriors. We learn that his mother is long dead and his father, while doing his best, just doesn't understand his quirky son. Hiccup just feels different and IS different. The village is under snow for 9 months of the year and under sleet for the other 3. Sounds like England! Anyway, as old as the village is, all the buildings are brand new. This is because they have a slight problem with a few pests, namely dragons. And dragons are just plain destructive.

 Gerard as Stoick and his voice...hubba hubba.

The action sequences are impressive, even though it's animated (and yes, I admit, probably more impressive if seen in 3D) and we see there are numerous breeds of dragons and the village is more than equipped to battle the dragons. People don't go running in terror as dragons descend stealing their animals and setting fire to everything, all of these villagers go full on into battle and the movie does a good job of having adventure and comedy. Hiccup's main job is to help the blacksmith named Gobber. Gobber (voiced by Craig Ferguson) has obviously seen a lot of battle in his time. A dragon bit off his arm and because he tasted so sweet, the dragon came back to take a leg. Gobber's other job is to train the up and coming dragon fighters and Hiccup, though small, weak and clumsy, maintains he should be able to learn. His DREAM is to fight and slay dragons.

The story arc consists of  Hiccup actually downing a dragon but no one believes it. But when Hiccup tracks down the fierce dragon he injured, he slowly learns that dragons are not necessarily the way he'd been indoctrinated into thinking (evil, deadly and must be killed at all costs). He begins to bond with this dragon  (think Black Stallion, Free Willy...). I have to say this dragon is weird looking. It's kind of disturbing, looks a bit alien-ish, but its mannerisms are of a mixture of dogs and cats. It just didn't quite work for me.

Hiccup becomes a Dragon Whisperer from his relationship Toothless, his new secret pet dragon (at least the dragon doesn't talk, thank goodness). He excels in his dragon-fighting training using the tricks he's learning in working with Toothless. Hiccup uses his smarts, savvy and soft heart to basically domesticate this wild beast. Eventually he learns some secrets of the lives of dragons and when forced to do an exhibition in front of the village, where he is to slay his first dragon, he decides to let the village know what he's learned and revolutionize how they view their arch nemeses. Well guess what? That doesn't quite work out, which leads to a lot of drama, action and epic battles raging in different lands. Man against dragon, then man and dragon against a WORSE dragon, it was quite spectacular actually.

Despite it being animation, they did a good job of building the tension. I was afraid that Toothless was going to die (I'll never get over I Am Legend, what can I say) and wondered how it would end (DUH). I found the characters funny and engaging and I was quietly purring anytime Stoic was talking (Gerard Butler may be an arse in person, I've heard anyway, but his voice is SEXY!)

I have to admit, however, there was a slight twinge of discomfort at the "happy" ending. I think you can handle the possibility of a spoiler here because seeing as it's a Dreamworks animated movie, you can probably guess there IS a happy ending. But it strikes me that the message of harmony through domesticating wild animals and making them your pets a bit discomforting. Though I bet Cesar would approve of Hiccup's methods!

For Trailer, click HERE.

I think...it was enjoyable and probably something each member of a family seeing it together would enjoy. 

See you on Twitter! @whatvalthinks.
.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! Loved the detail. Sounds like a must see for me & the Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall I liked this movie even though I was a bit disconcerted at first by the adult Vikings having Scottish accents. (a small nit to pick since this isn't making any claims to historical accuracy) It looked good in 3D which always seems to work particulaly well with flying sequences. You made an interesting point about the happy ending being through domestication of the dragons. Is this a good thing? I'm not sure but I guess it's better than the killing that was going on. (from the movie....Stoic -they've killed hundreds of us. Hiccup -We've killed thousands of them.) Which I thought was stronger than Dreamworks usually makes their kid's movies. But everybody seemed so happy at the end playing with their pet dragons I guess that it makes everything okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue, I know, the accents were weird but I got used to it in the end. At the end seeing the village wasn't overrun by hundreds of dragons, I decided that only the dragons that really wanted to be pets did. That's kind of how I made "peace" with the whole domestication/dominance thing at the end.

    ReplyDelete